Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

I always get a little misty at midnight, celebrating the new year. I don't know why. It's just exciting and optimistic and I am with my husband, whom I love dearly. I've always kind of wanted to go to or host a lavish New Year's Eve party. I like the idea of fancy parties, but I don't really have any friends who are into that kind of thing. Is it a Mormon thing? I mean I hear about people needing a new outfit for "holiday parties" and "little black dresses" and stuff like that, but Mormons just don't do that for some reason. So it seems, anyway. Maybe it's because of the stage we are at in life . My husband and I and most of our friends have very tight budgets and none of us have party dresses and nice suits. Or glamorous accessories.
I guess I will plan and dream for when we are "grown up" - out of debt, out of school, and we have at least one kid that is old enough to babysit the others so we can get dressed up and go to a party.

I did get a little prettied up for last night. We spent New Year's Eve at a friend's apartment. They are married and have two small children, (in bed for the festivities). We played games and ate snacks and watched the ball drop in New York. I dressed in my new black cashmere sweater, new black pearl necklace (on sale at Kohl's the day before), trouser jeans, and nails painted silver. I felt so great (I am in love with my first cashmere sweater). I really do love to look nice.

I am really excited for this year. It's fun to be an "established couple" and not so much newly-weds anymore (well, some people probably think we still are but we've been together for three years). I am going to try to stay optimistic and happy and keep my house in order. I am glad we are halfway done with the first year of law school! This semester will go by fast, right?

0 comments: